The much-anticipated Carlos Correa/Mets blockbuster deal was put on hold for the Christmas holiday on Sunday. However, there appears to be reason for optimism.
Following physical concerns, the Mets and Carlos Correa are optimistic that the deal will be completed
Since the team mentioned an issue with Correa’s physical examination, which was performed Thursday and Friday in New York, the Mets and Correa’s camp have been said to be trying to work things out.
The holdup, which was discovered on Saturday, is thought to be related to ankle surgery in 2014 and a subsequent MRI.
Before the holiday intervened, the parties were debating the value of an iffy MRI versus the “functionality” of the joint, as well as Correa’s track record of dependability — he’s missed an average of 14 games over the last three seasons, and has never received any related treatment since that 2014 surgery, according to agent Scott Boras.
When the deal was agreed upon, both parties appeared excited and motivated to complete it, and with the Mets and Correa‘s camp said to be “working on things” Saturday, there appears to be some hope that things can be worked out.
When the Mets and Correa’s camp agreed to the $315 million, 12-year deal that shook New York, the Mets understood the Giants’ doctor discovered this issue.
Following the Mets’ findings, a few other teams have checked in. However, unlike the Giants, who informed Correa’s camp only that they needed more time, according to what Boras told New York writers on Thursday, the Mets and Correa’s representatives appear to be having more substantive discussions following this latest medical exam.
There has been a lot of buzz surrounding this deal since it was agreed upon by Mets owner Steve Cohen and Boras around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday in Hawaii (2:30 a.m. New York time), where Cohen was vacationing. (Boras was calling from San Francisco, where Correa’s press conference had just been canceled.)
“We needed one more thing, and this is it,” Cohen told The Post moments after the deal was agreed to. “This was important. … This puts us over the top.”
Correa is said to be equally excited about the opportunity to join this star-studded Mets team, which now has a record $380 million-plus roster and a strong chance to win the World Series (if this deal happens).
Correa was said to be fine with moving to third base and accommodating his friend Francisco Lindor, despite being one of the two or three best defensive shortstops in the game, if not the best.
Much of the discussion in the aftermath of the Mets’ medical exam appears to be about the value of relying on an MRI versus actual on-field dependability and performance.
However, the parties may need to agree on language to protect the Mets at the very least. It’s unclear whether Correa is motivated enough to agree to a reworking of the terms, or if the Mets will even suggest such a thing.
Boras has previously solved medical issues with revised contract language, as he did with J.D. Martinez, whose previous foot issues were flagged in a Red Sox examination following agreement on his $110 million, five-year contract with Boston.
“There’s no current issue with Carlos’ health whatsoever,” Boras told New York writers on Thursday when he was in town for Carlos Rodon’s Yankees press conference. The Mets, however, seem to have some concern about his future.